Let there be Light - 6 remodeling ideas to let the sun shine in!
May 15, 2019
Adding more natural light to your home is one of the best ways to create the illusion of more space. And for homeowners in Washington DC, Virginia and Maryland where constant sunlight is never a guarantee, the more available light you can bring into your home, the better.
Solutions can be simple fixes - like replacing existing items like windows and doors. Or, if you are contemplating remodeling or an addition, this is the perfect time to ask your contractor about the best ways to let the sun shine in!
- Install Windows - spring is the time to rethink your windows. Add to existing windows in your home and create a beautiful window display. Do you have a single double hung window, but it's just not letting in enough light? Consider adding two more on either side. And no need to be afraid that UV rays will fade your interior. Today's window technology provides options for Low-E glass that filters out those harmful UV rays.
- Install Tubular Daylighting Devices (TDDs) - Tubular daylighting devices are like mini skylights - reflective cylinders or pipes installed between the roof and ceiling, with a clear plastic dome. The bottoms of the tubes are diffused or glazed to prevent glaring beams of light and to ensure a soft "glow."
- Add Glass Doors- From a design perspective, glass doors add dimensionality and curb appeal. From a practical perspective, a front door with glass or a door flanked by window panels, flood front entrances with light. If privacy is a concern, there are many options, such as etched glass to maintain privacy while allowing light in.
- Replace Interior Solid Doors With Glass or French Doors- Interior doors help provide soundproofing and maintain privacy, important in today's prevalent open floor plans. However, French doors provide a way for rooms to share light and eliminate shutting rooms off from each other.
- Reconfigure your ground floor rooms - Opening up cramped, dark rooms by widening door frames and taking down walls is a surefire way to increase the feeling of space, and light - especially in layouts and footprints where exterior windows/walls are at a premium.
- Add a sunroom/all seasons room - if you want to enjoy your beautiful backyard while bringing in more natural light, consider adding a sunroom or all season room. You can keep glass window pieces in, and keep the room fully air conditioned and heated, or replace glass inserts with screen inserts. Adding additions like these, can add much needed living space while adding value to your home.
Call us at: (301) 230-3040
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org