Alex Dean, the founder of The Alexander Group, was an early adopter of sustainable building practices. He has been a proponent of energy conservation, solar and alternative energy resources since 1976, specializing in both residential and commercial construction. Alex was a leader in the construction of energy-efficient dwellings long before the “green” movement began making headlines.
After graduating from Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii, Alex spent a summer working for a builder and stonemason. This job that eventually set the stage for his career in the design-build, renovation and construction services industry.
After completing a self-designed curriculum in architecture, energy, environmental law, business law, and management at Boston University, Alex moved to Washington, DC. He opened The Alexander Group in 1986 and a second location in Hawaii in 2004.
Alexis an active member of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) and holds the Association’s Green Certified Professional (GCP) designation. He also holds NAHB’s Certified Graduate Remodeler (GCR) and Green Certified Professional (GCP) designations and The US Green Building Council’s LEED AP Homes certification. He was president of the DC Metropolitan Chapter of NARI in 1992. From 1990 to 1994, Alex served as a member of the Board of Directors of the DC Metropolitan Chapter of NARI from 1990 to 1994.
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Best of Houzz 2018 – Client Satisfaction
- 2016 Best of Houzz 2016 – Client Satisfaction
- 2015 NARI Southeast Regional CotY Grand Award – Residential Remodeling Projects from $250,000 to $500,000
- 2015 NARI National Green Project Recognition for Residential Addition over $250,000
- 2014 BIA Renaissance Merit Award – Residential Remodeling Project under 1000 SF
- 2014 Metro DC NARI CotY Grand Award – Residential Remodeling Projects from $250,000 to $500,000
- 2012 LEED Platinum Certification for Sykora Residence
- 2012 The Capital CotY Grand Award (DC Metro NARI) Green Home Construction
- 2012 BIA Renaissance Merit Award – Residential Remodeling Projects from $350,001 – $500,000